Morning Routines are something we all need. Many of us don’t realize how much they impact our day. They can be used as a wonderful tool for setting the tone for the rest of our day. I know first hand the shift that can take place with a productive morning routine. Unfortunately, not everyone knows the importance of them, or how to create one that actually works for them.
This post will lay out a few reasons your morning routine might not be doing you any favors. It’s important to note that we all have rough days. That is a part of life. A morning routine isn’t a sure bet that you will have a good day, it’s a time of preparing yourself for the day, no matter what life throws at you.
5 Reasons Your Morning Routine Isn’t Working for You
- Waking Up Without a Plan: When you wake up without a plan it is a surefire bet that the rest of your day will shift in the chaotic direction. Starting with a plan in place to get things done, prepare your heart and mind, and create a healthy habit is the best thing you can do. Having a cup of coffee on the run is not all it’s cracked up to be.
- Having Too Many Things on Your To-Do List: This is almost on the entire other end of the spectrum from not having a plan. When you try to accomplish an entire day’s worth of to-do’s then you will almost certainly fail to finish your list and inevitably be in a sour mood and feel discouraged from the get-go.
- You Hit Snooze. I know, you think just because you got up after the second snooze and you gave yourself the extra time you think it’s okay. You still got some things done this morning, not all, but you’re okay with that. That is fine. However, hitting snooze has been proven to negatively affect our mental health in study after study.
- You Don’t Go To Bed at the Right Time: This is something I think about often. I love to research sleep studies and see how our REM cycles truly can make such an impact on us, both physically and mentally. #nerdalert I know! I like to use a sleep calculator to find my suggested bed time. If you need to find one, here is the one I use . I like this one because it gives you several times to go to bed to make sure you allow yourself time to get in all your REM sleep cycles. If I am working late and don’t go to bed at my normal bed time, I always look up when I should go to bed after I am done!
- You Don’t Have Any Healthy Habits: Waking up early and getting things done like a load of laundry, breakfast ready before kids get up, and your coffee are all great! BUT they aren’t necessarily healthy habits. They are productive and definitely worthwhile, but I would like to challenge you to add just one quick healthy habit to your routine. Example: Drinking 8 oz. of water before your coffee, having a turmeric latte before your coffee, walking for 15 minutes, doing a quick workout circuit, etc. If you need a quick workout, my dear friend (and occasional business partner) Shaela of FSRGcompany.com created this 10 minute one just for us moms! It is 10 workouts that are 10 minutes or less and I can say I am a true believer! I have done her workouts only for 2 years now and I love them.
There are obviously many other reasons that you might not be feeling like your Morning Routine is working for you. These are just a few I thought might be helpful and they are most common in women I have worked with on setting up a productive morning routine.
If you are having a hard time trying to set up a productive morning routine that works for you. I created a free morning moms challenge. I walk you through my method of implementing one and how to create the perfect one that is designed just for you.
P.S. I attempt to use this blog to make a little extra income for our family. If you enjoyed this post or it was helpful in any way to you at all, please consider pinning one of the images in this post. I work very hard to make this a useful (&beautiful) resource for other women and I truly appreciate all of your help and support in making that happen. Thank you so much for being here!!!